D - Annual Sunspot Numbers
here to go to the YEARLY
AVERAGE SUNSPOT NUMBERS site.
- Read the legend below the graph for help answering the question.
- Since the yearly sunspot number has been calculated using
the average of the daily number of sunspots, which solar minimum year
had the lowest yearly average?
E- Math Facts and Solar Measurements
here to go to the SOLAR
- The gravity on Earth is 9.8 meters per second per second. How
much stronger is the gravity on the surface of the sun?
- Escape velocity is how fast you have to go to escape the sun's gravity
and not get sucked back into the sun. What is the escape velocity
of the sun in kilometers per hour?
- What is the diameter of the sun?
- Use the diameter you found in question 3 to find the circumference
of the sun. (C = Πd)
- Use the rotation period of the sun, the number of hours in a day,
the number of meters in a kilometer, and the circumference of the sun
to figure out what the surface speed of the sun is in kilometers per
hour. (How fast is it moving on the surface?)
- Use the fact that there are about 1.6 kilometers per mile to convert
the speed you found in question 5 to miles per hour.