section has two pages. Click on the pdf icon at left if you do not have
an activity sheet for this section.
A - Hurricane-Induced Building Considerations
- Research the change in construction regulations in Florida due to
the effects of hurricane Andrew in 1992.
- Brainstorm about the type of housing that would best weather a hurricane.
B - El Niño Effects on Hurricanes
(Note: You can do part B only if you have completed the
El Niño activity.)
- Read the following two questions before going to the sites so you
know what to look for.
- Explain the effect El Niño has on the Atlantic and Pacific
- What effect on the number of hurricanes should El Niño have
had in 1997 - 1998?
on the 1997
STORM TRACKS SITE FOR THE EASTERN PACIFIC site (a severe El Niño
on the 1995
STORM TRACKS SITE FOR THE EASTERN PACIFIC (a non-El Niño year).