section has one page. Click on the pdf icon at left if you do not have
an activity sheet for this section.
A - Research
- Research Saint Elmo's Fire. What kind of lightning is St. Elmo's
Fire? Where does it occur? What problems does it cause?
- Research "Faraday Cage".
- Research Zeus' thunderbolts made by Vulcan.
- Research Nikoli Tesla.
- Find out how buildings can be protected from lightning strikes.
B - Interviews
- Interview a meteorologist about lightning. Find out what equipment
and technology is used to predict and track lightning.
- Interview an electrician. Find out what grounded outlets
are and how they work.
- Interview a firefighter about what lightning can do to a forest and
how they put out fires.
- Interview a forester about controlled burning. what is it and how
is it used?
C - Related Web Sites
- Kids' Lightning
Information and Safety Page
- National Weather
Service Lightning page