section has three pages. Click on the pdf icon at left if you do not have
an activity sheet for this section.
A - You are the Mayor
- How will your town's emergency management staff prepare if your town
is in a tornado watch? What if your town is actually hit by a tornado?
- List potential duties for each group of emergency personnel:
- civil defense coordinator
- storm spotters
- ambulance drivers
- fire fighters
- sanitation workers
B - You are the Civil Defense Coordinator.
- Develop a public awareness plan to inform people what to do during
tornado watches and warnings, and after a tornado hits. Include television,
newspaper, and radio messages.
- Develop a plan to make mobile home parks safer. Where should people
in mobile homes go when they hear a warning?
C - You are the Principal of a School
- Design a tornado safety plan for the school. Include the months that
are most likely to produce tornadoes. Describe what the students should
do when there is a tornado warning.
- Design a tornado safety plan for sporting events and other outdoor
events at your school. Consider who will stay aware of watches and warnings
during the game/event, where people should go, and how much time might
be needed to move everyone to a safe place.