Part of the job of the U. S. Government is to ensure
that the rights of all of the citizens of the United States are
The National Marine Fisheries Service's task is to
make sure that people don't catch so many fish that there are not
enough fish left to breed.
If people catch too many fish now, there will not
be enough for people to catch in the future. The National
Marine Fisheries Service is therefore, in a real sense, a guardian
of the future.
What's in this section?
- Explain what fisheries management is.
- Explain why fisheries management is important.
- Describe how fish populations are managed.
- Determine the year that had the greatest and least fish landings.
- Describe the pattern of catches over a long period of time.
- Determine the method of fishing that catches the most fish.
- Hypothesize the effects of better fishing methods on the long
term landing (number of fish caught).
- Explain why the commercial fishing license system should be
- Develop a list of illegal activities that should be reported
to the National Marine Fisheries Service.
- Click on the link above to participate in some additional activities.
- Click on Links Only to access a list of all the external sites
used in this activity.