section has one page. Click on the pdf icon at left if you do not have
an activity sheet for this section.
A - General Information on Solar Problems
here to go to the SOLAR
- Read the information and answer the following question:
- What problems do solar events cause ?
B - Details of Solar Events
here to go to the SPACE
- Scroll down to the "Coronal Holes" section.
- Read from "Coronal Holes" through the end of the site and
answer the following questions as you read.
- What effect do coronal holes have on the solar wind?
- What types of energy do solar flares release?
- Aurora are also called the Northern Lights and Southern Lights.
How are the lights formed?
- What causes geomagnetic storms on Earth?
- What does the ionosphere usually do to help communication that is
changed by geomagnetic storms?
- What dangers are there due to geomagnetic storms' disruption of the
- How do geomagnetic storms affect satellites?
- How can airlines be in danger due to geomagnetic storms?
C - Solar "Power" Problems
here to go to the UNIVERSITY
OF MICHIGAN POWER GRID site.
- Why do geomagnetic storms affect man-made structures
more than natural structures?