Lightning kills hundreds of people around the world
each year. It is estimated that lightning strikes the Earth
about 100 times every second.
Lightning starts wildfires, destroys computers, fries
the wiring in phones, and upsets AM radio reception.
What's in this section?
- Explain the causes of lightning and thunder.
- Describe lightning damage.
- Describe the most safe and least safe places to be during a
- Draw the types of lighting.
- Determine the place and time lightning strikes most often in
the United States.
- Explain first aid for someone struck by lightning.
- Calculate the distance from a strike using the flash to bang
- Calculate the speed of sound in feet per second.
- Calculate the speed of sound in meters per second.
- Click on the link above to participate in some additional activities.
- Click on "Links Only" to access a list of all the external sites
used in this activity.