Because the sun is composed of gases that are constantly
reacting, there is a lot of activity there. At various times there
are solar events such as solar flares, coronal holes, solar winds,
These activities cause geomagnetic storms that can
affect many things here on Earth. The Northern and Southern Lights
occur because of sun activities. Radio transmission, satellite reception,
and airplane communications are just a few of the problems the sun
Geomagnetic storms occur in patterns and can sometimes
be predicted. Knowing about the storms and their effects can help
us in many ways worldwide.
What's in this section?
- List effects of solar events.
- Describe solar effects on human activities.
- Describe solar effects on electric companies.
- Describe the relationship of geomagnetic disturbances to solar
- Use averaged solar data to determine the best time to debug
- Compute the diameter, escape velocity, and speed of the sun.
- Explain observations of the average sunspot number.
- Justify the cost of an early warning system for geomagnetic
- Explain the international nature of solar event problems.
- Click on the link above to participate in some additional activities.
- Click on "Links Only" to access a list of all the external sites
used in this activity.