section has one page. Click on the pdf icon at left if you do not have
an activity sheet for this section.
A - In Your Neighborhood - Or Close By
- Pick a coastal area near where you live or one you have visited.
Record the air and water temperatures for a week (or longer). Record
your data in a chart like the one in the student activity book.
- How do you think the information gathered from the system of buoys
helps people who work on the water?
- Who else might benefit from knowing the information collected by these
- Based on data you collected about the site near where you live or
have visited, what do you think the air temperature will be for the
rest of the week? the rest of the month? three months from now?
- If you have completed the El Niño site - What effect has El
Niño had on the water and air temperatures in North America?
- What effect has El Niño had on the area where you live?
- Based on what you have learned about moored buoys in the ocean, design
a buoy to collect data in outer space. Give it a name, list the measurements
it will collect, and draw a diagram of it.