section has three pages. Click on the pdf icon at left if you do not have
an activity sheet for this section.
A - Graph Storm Tide Height vs. Pressure
here to go to the Historical Hurricane Tracks TROPICAL
CYCLONE REPORTS site.
- Select "Atlantic" for the basin.
- Select "2003" for the year.
- Select "Claudette."
- Follow the "Hurricane Claudette (Atlantic)" link to
see the report in a new browser window.
- Scroll to the bottom of Table 1 to find the pressure at landfall
at Matagorda Island, TX.
- In Table 3, in the Storm Tide column, find the highest recorded
- Mark the place on your graph where the two numbers meet.
Find and record the same information (pressure at landfall and highest
storm tide height) for the following Atlantic hurricanes: Juan (2003),
Isabel (2003), Michelle (2001), Floyd (2001), Bonnie (1998) and Andrew
(1992). Draw a best-fit line.
B - Graph Pressure vs. Wind Speed.
Following the same directions, find the wind speed and pressure
at landfall for Hurricane Claudette from Table 1.
- On the
graph, plot the point where the wind speed intersects
with the pressure.
Do the same for Hurricanes Juan, Isabel, Michelle, Floyd, Bonnie
- Draw a best-fit line.