section has two pages. Click on the pdf icon at left if you do not have
an activity sheet for this section.
A - What is a Hurricane?
here to go to the "HURRICANE
- Click on "Defining a Hurricane".
- Read the information and answer the following question.
- What is a hurricane?
B - Intensity
The Saffir-Simpson scale is used to classify hurricanes
based on sustained (long lasting) wind speed. Hurricanes are classified
in this way because it is the most accurate method of describing a storm
that affects such a large area.
- Scroll down to the "Saffir-Simpson Scale." Read the page and fill
in the chart in your activity sheet.
C - Storm Structure
- Scroll down and read the "Storm Structure" section.
- What three things must occur for a hurricane to get stronger?